This is the index for a collection of webpages hosted at the skoozeme website. This index.html page is generally a key for search engines (as is robots.txt), but also lists most of the pages on this website for human readers.
Most of these pages are put up by Stan Protigal, but I will occasionally also host other pages. I will also mirror pages from elsewhere that may be taken down for one reason or another.
This website is mostly rebuilt in in May-2018, with some exceptions, and moved to the skoozeme.com domain.
This website was put up by Stan Protigal 3-Nov-1996 (on Eskimo North (eskimo.com). Since 22-Aug-1997, the site was maintained on Seattle Community Network (SCN) www.scn.org), as www.scn.org/~bk269/ . SCN, being an volunteer organisation, had run into glitches with their (make that "our") personal webpages, so I set up the skoozeme.com domain. This project started 29-Apr-2018, and was "ready for prime time by Jun-2018.
The original website (1996) consisted of:
- Dude's Airplane Files
- Mostly related to Mooney aircraft
This may be linked to Internet Archive's The Wayback Machine, as the information is now more easily sourced elsewhere.
- The Telemarketing Scum Page
- ... Which pretty much changed the response on telemarketing calls from "just hang up" to "
Don'thang up". At the time, telemarketing calls to landlines were becoming a significant scouge. Several of the concepts on Telemarketing Scum were included in US and international telemarketing laws. At present, illegal callers still have to deal with victims keeping them on the line as long as possible, and in response, need to hang up on their marks and otherwise cut into their profit potential.
The Washington (D.C.) subway system ("Metro") has encouraged its patrons to turn rudeness and shoving into an art form; hence the system's motto "Skoozeme, Skoozeme".
(The word "skoozeme" is a corruption of "excuse me". The expression is heard as, "skoozeme ... skoozeme.")
- www.scn.org/civic/traffic/ - Seattle Community Network's traffic website
- - shows traffic map along with "live cam" shots along selected commutes. See also www.scn.org/civic/traffic/bigtown.html for shots of downtown Seattle.
- foot traffic on Cedar Butte (JJ)
This is the "criminal process" webpage, which I wrote after seeing prisoners pressured into confessing to crimes they didn't commit. As mentioned in the article, if both a crime and a suspect are identified, confessions (coerced or otherwise) should be unnecessary.
- "Guilty until proven innocent." - the importance of never entering a "guilty" plea when one is innocent
- &The Criminal justice process - Avoid being Nifonged
- Police Stops ("Terry stops")
- Police stops are a type of arrest. What not to do during a police stop.
- Impaired driving (DUI, DWI) stops
- Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Modems - describes modem settings for Seattle Community Network.
- (Modem Init. Strings) - Max Speed, also for Seattle Community Network. - advantages in deliberately downgrade a modem
- Windows Setup (W95/98) (probably also Win2000)
- SCN's main page on spam, spam avoidance, spam reporting and our spamblock
- A bit of Seattle culture added to the other Washington's Metro subway system.
- Metro's disregard of its own industry safety recommendations.
- Skoozeme, Skoozeme, Skoozeme
- Skoozeme, Skoozeme, Skoozeme will be The District of Columbia's state motto if DC is granted statehood.
- Alexandria's Model Newspaper Delivery Law
- Alexandria, Virginia's response to aggressive (and hostile) "newspaper" distribution tactics
- The Telemarketing Scum Page - SINCE 1996!
- Abbreviated Cheatsheet - suitable for framing
- naming individuals when filing complaints - the Telemarketing Scum Page's admittedly feeble attempt at being radical.... and there's a special page for
- telemarketing_votes.html - list of Congressmen who Voted Against Enablement of the Federal Telemarketing Rule
- surveys and pay phones - Another fun project. Also information about Caller ID and ANI.
- instructions on getting the attention of the legal department of a large corporation.
- Telescum "Repeat Naming" or Signifying Tactics
- Vertical Litter and Street Spam; Sharking (removing or cutting illegal signs)
- sign sharking HOWTOs
- Results of using The DMA's Mail Preference Service (now called DMA Choice)
- Sample Privacy Request Letter for making privacy requests under the GLBA (Graham-Leach- Bliley Act (US))
- Sample Privacy Request Letter for Telecommunications for privacy requests directed to common carriers (under 47 USC 222 and the GLBA (US))
- Addresses for Complaints concerning "do not call" and privacy violations. (Mostly US so-far, but will expand.)
- Email Privacy - Standards for Protection of Email Address Information
- Standards for respecting privacy when using personal email information. Email etiquette relating to email address information.
- The Bovine Scatology (BS) test
- Indications of BS (information of questionable validity)
- "Paper coffee filter" articles
- Recognising "paper coffee filter" articles ("paper coffee filter" stories)
- Microwavable plastics
- Problems with "microwave safe" plastics
- Don't Bus Throw-Away Tableware and Utensils
- Ritalin is Child Abuse
- ... well, when used to treat overcrowded classrooms, etc.
- protecting elm trees